Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Status Updates

Ohoho, second entry.


I almost didn't have anything to really write about this week, but by good graces, I have found something I can provide. It will probably be dry, but I don't expect anything to turn out interesting for another two entries.


But.
This week, I can talk about applying for a visa. 


I make it a point to look like a dapper gentleman in every photograph.

The information that Oberlin wanted could have either been sent before December 18th or after January 3rd. It was a simple enough list of a few things; I can't really recall what all it was right now, but they weren't anything that would take four or more weeks to obtain. So, I decided to get all my things together and go ahead and submit it. It's a good thing I did, though, because had I not, I'd still be waiting on my visa.
Basically, visa application [in this instance], breaks down into sending the school some information, and then they send it to the Embassy in Japan. The Embassy then runs off a Certificate of Eligibility and Certificate of Admission. From there, it's sent back to the school in Japan, and then that school mails it to the school that the student actually attends.
So it went from me, to Oberlin, to Tokyo's Embassy, back to Oberlin, and then it was supposed to go to my university. After that, they'd call, let me know, I'd have to fill out a couple more pieces of paperwork [visa application and release of liability form], and mail it all with my passport to the Embassy in Nashville.
It is really freaking confusing.
Anyway, for whatever reason, one of my certificates got lost somewhere in transit, and when I was supposed to go and pick them up in February, there was only one. The Study Abroad office got in touch with Oberlin and asked what was up, and we found out that there wasn't an extra copy.
So, Oberlin had to re-apply to the Embassy in Tokyo, and we pretty much had to start all over again.
Whooo boy, I was stressed out. It had taken about two months to get everything processed the last time.
I didn't have two months. 
Luckily the re-issuing didn't take as long as it did the first time. I got it in just a couple of weeks, and mailed everything off the very day I received it. Sadly, I had to overnight it both ways instead of sending it only via priority, and as a result, spent $37 dollars to mail it to there and back as quickly as I could. Nashville is only about three hours away. 
Had I gotten everything earlier, I could have sent it priority.
That would have only been about $10 dollars, maybe up to $12. 

But mistakes happen, and I'm glad I got everything done in time. Had I taken too long, I still might not have my visa yet, and I don't know what kind of mess I would be in by now.
So this goes to show you, kids--finish up your stuff as early as you can!

And here is a suggestion for fellow honour students looking to study abroad: 
Remember to e-mail someone in charge of the honour's programme of your school about study abroad. I'm happy that I remembered to, because I came to find out that I can get three of my college credits put towards my honour's credits. All I had to do was fill out a sheet of paper with where I was going and a basic outline of what I planned to do, and then have someone in the department sign the trip off as an honour's experience. It was so very easy. 

I've gone ahead and bought my train ticket to get me up to Chicago on the night of the 29th. I'll be hanging out there with some family and friends right before I leave for Tokyo. What I'm working on right now is getting more information together so that I can pay for my dormitory fees at Oberlin. I came to find out yesterday that my bank doesn't handle any international money wiring, and as a result I had to put the money in my aunt's account so she could wire it over. But instead of everything running smoothly, we can't wire the money over without one more number to route it to the right account.
Another reason to not wait until the last minute, I suppose. 
I've e-mailed Oberlin about this, and hopefully will have a response by tomorrow. 
A good thing about all of this is that the dollar is getting stronger against the yen at least. That's nice, at least. I'm saving a few more dollars every day. 
I'm just ready to have everything finished and good to go.

Soon.

My younger cousin heard about the earthquakes that have been happening over in Japan these past few weeks, and tried to tell me the other day that I could no longer go.
I was charmed, but I told him that it was too bad, because I may as well already be gone. 
Then I reminded him that we sit on a fault line, too, and could have our own earthquake at any moment. 
And he proceeded to legitimately fall out of the couch in melodrama. It was quite amusing.

Packing will begin soon, as well as last-minute visits with family and friends.
I'm sure it will be quite fun, except for the packing part.

That's all I really have for this week, though.
So, I'll sign out now.

'Til Wednesday,
-RD

1 comment:

  1. Dapper gentleman. Hmm. The scary part is that you can.

    ReplyDelete